Listen and Subscribe to Our Podcast
‘Tis the season!
There’s a reason that it’s called the Spirit of Giving, it makes us feel good to spread joy to others. Yet somewhere along the way the tables turned, and the season of giving became a pressure-filled month of Black Friday sales and Cyber Monday deals where we end up buying more stuff that we don’t need.
I’m not suggesting that we shouldn’t give or receive presents. Who doesn’t like unwrapping a gift, or watching the look of excitement on someone’s face when you surprise them with something they weren’t expecting?!
This year I decided to make a clutter-free gift guide filled with ideas for the whole family. Last week, I shared some of my tips with Alicia Vitarelli, from 6abcactionnews. You can check out the segment here:
1. Experiences: Who doesn’t love tickets to a show, concert or sporting event? This is a not only a great gift, but a wonderful bonding experience and a chance to make lasting memories.
2. Classes: Ever want to learn how to play an instrument? Take a cooking class or learn how to Tango? Sometimes our “bucket list” items take a back seat to everyday life, so why not gift your loved one something they’ve always wanted to try!
3. Memberships: This is a great one for kids. Think zoo, aquarium, or museum. Think of all those winter weekends when you are trapped inside and looking for something to do? Ongoing memberships are the gift that keeps on giving all through the year!
4. Self Care: Spa treatments, personal training or even a professional organizer (hint! hint!) are a few examples of luxury items that we would love to indulge, but time, money and guilt often stand in the way. Why not use the holidays as an excuse to splurge your loved ones.
5. Subscription Services: Everywhere you turn these days there is another subscription service on the market, why not give the gift that keeps on giving month after month? Who wouldn’t love getting fresh flowers each month, a free meal delivery service, or a 3 month subscription to a wine club.
6. Digital Gifts: There’s no mistaking we live in a digital age. From kids to grandparents, everyone has a device (or two). From phones, to ipads, to laptops we use our devices for more than phone calls and checking email. Netflix, Audible, Kindle or eReader subscriptions to magazine or newspapers are wonderful gifts for the tech lover in your world.
7. Gift Cards: Think gas cards, a gift certificate to getting your car detailed, a pack of movie tickets or a starbuck’s gift card (my 17 year old would love that!)
8. Service Gifts: We are all busy with our daily lives and sadly our weekends are far from relaxing. Don’t underestimate the value of a cleaning service, lawn care service, or snow removal service.
9. The Gift of Time: In this hectic world we live in, uninterrupted time is priceless. Don’t underestimate the value of an afternoon lunch date, a trip to the park, or a bike ride.
10. The Gift of Giving: Donating money to a charity, or gently used items to those who are less fortunate, is a great way for you to give to others in need. We recently partnered with Second Chance Toys, and organization that donates gently used toys to inner city programs. Not only does this help others, but allows you to declutter your house for a great cause!
Whatever gifts you give or receive, always remember the real meaning of the season.
P.S. If you are looking for a last minute stocking stuffer, consider picking up a copy of my new book, HOT MESS: A Practical Guide to Getting Organized. A portion of all book sales each month are donated to charity. This month we are donating to The St. Baldrick’s Foundation which provides much needed funding for Pediatric Cancer Research.