Listen and Subscribe to Our Podcast

Apple PodcastsiHeartRadioSpotifyAmazon MusicGoogle Podcasts

I am very excited to share a guest post by our SBO Partner Melanie Juedes, founder of RESET Professional Organizing Wisconsin!

My calendar says it is Clean Out Your Closets Month but any day is a great day to dive into the depths of your clothes closet and unearth what may be lurking in the dark.

Did you know we only wear 20 percent of the items in our closets? Today, take action and make some simple decisions about what to do with the other 80 percent.

These five steps will guide you:

  1. Start by taking everything out. I know no one wants to hear this but it’s the best way to really see what and how much you own. The goal is to handle each piece and make a quick, thoughtful decision.
  2. Anything that does not belong in a clothes closet should be re-homed (e.g., boxes of printer paper, old dog beds etc.). Sort clothes, shoes, boots, bags, hats, belts, scarves and more into Keep, Toss, Donate, and Repair. Feel free to keep a small Think About It pile but make sure to come back to it within a week and make final decisions.
  3. So what should you Keep? Keep items that are in good condition. Anything stained, torn or twisted should go. Keep items that fit you well. Stick with your current size and one size up and down. Keep only items that you love how you look and feel in them. Any items that spark bad memories should go.
  4. Divide items into casual wear and business wear and return to the closet. Next, sort into categories: shirts, pants, skirts, jackets and more. From there, subdivide into sleeveless, short sleeve, long sleeve, short skirts to long skirts etc. If you want to go even further, sort by color. Use shoe racks/boxes, boot hangers, dividers, specialty hangers etc. as needed.
  5. Finally, keep a donation bag, box or decorative basket in the closet. Each time you determine an item is ready to go to a new home, drop it in the bag. When the bag is full, close it up and immediately put it in your vehicle. The next time you run a few errands, drop off the bag at your favorite charitable organization or consignment shop.

Now that you’ve tamed the closet chaos, set a calendar reminder for six months out and take a peek in the closet and review items again. It gets easier and quicker every time.

Want some help to stay on task and get the job done? Visit resetorganizing.com or contact me at (608) 345-1836 to get started.

Melanie Juedes is a professional organizer, and started Reset: Professional Organizing LLC in 2015. She focuses on home environments and is dedicated to helping clients solve problems that are caused by clutter.
Melanie believes that if you Reset your space, you can Reset your life. You can find out more about her on Instagram.