5 Questions to Ask When Packing for a Move
Listen and Subscribe to Our Podcast
I am very excited to share a guest post by our SBO Partner Melanie Juedes, founder of RESET Professional Organizing in Wisconsin!
May is National Moving Month and a move across town (or across the country) is the perfect time to evaluate your possessions and lighten your load.
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, an estimated 35 million people will relocate this year – many between May and September when school is not in session.
Once you’ve decided to move, where do you start? As you review items to pack, determine if you want them to take up space on the moving truck and in your new home. Ask yourself five simple questions to help you let go of things and move on to relaxing in your new home:
- Am I holding on to this item for sentimental value only? Are the memories associated with the item good or bad? Allow yourself to rid your home of negative items, and display those that recall happy times.
- Do I have a realistic plan to use this item in my new home? Good intentions are great but if you don’t have a specific purpose in mind, and a set time frame to use it, the item is just taking up space.
- If I saw this item in a store or at a garage sale today, would I buy it? If the answer is no, then it’s time to let the item go. Styles change, trends come and go so allow yourself to move on.
- Have I used this item in the last few years? Would someone else get more use out of it or appreciate it more? If the item has served its purpose for you, let it go to someone else who might need it.
- Do I have items that are similar or serve the same purpose? If you have multiples of the same type of item, it might be time to let the duplicate items go to another who might use them.
Are you preparing for an upcoming move and could use some assistance sorting, purging, packing and more? Or how about help unpacking and settling in after the move? Contact me at (608) 345-1836 or email@example.com to find out how I can make your move less stressful.
Check out these helpful resources:
- Week-by-week moving & packing checklist
- Donation valuation guide
- Tips from the American Moving & Storage Association
- Moving boxes and supplies
Melanie Juedes is a professional organizer, and started Reset: Professional Organizing LLC in 2015. She focuses on home environments and is dedicated to helping clients solve problems that are caused by clutter.
Melanie believes that if you Reset your space, you can Reset your life. You can find out more about her on Instagram.