Listen and Subscribe to Our Podcast
Today we are continuing with part 4 of our series on the 5 CLUTTER PITFALLS, and today we are talking about OVERWHELM (can you relate?)
Let’s be honest. Life is overwhelming, regardless your season of life.
OVERWHELM is defined as feeling overpowered or overcome with emotion. A.K.A.: feeling stressed
When we feel overwhelmed with more important areas of our lives, the last thing we have energy to focus on is clutter. Ironically, organizing a space, even something as simple as the top of your desk or your kitchen counter, can produce feelings of empowerment, control, and calm. However, getting out of the starting gate can be tough.
1. WHY do we feel overwhelmed?
- We have too much on our plates
- We lack direction
- We feel external or internal pressure
2. HOW does overwhelm manifest itself?
- Avoidance (i.e.: shut the door and walk away)
- Anxiety & Stress
- Anger & Frustration
Feelings of overwhelm can be debilitating and isolating.
3. WHAT can we do to reduce feelings of overwhelm?
- Map out a plan rather than just jumping in blindly
- Define your goal and work backwards (figure out the steps it will take you to get there)
- Break up tasks into manageable chunks (15 or 20 minutes at a time is plenty)
- Reduce external distractions (send the kids out, pop in a podcast or listen to music)
Identify your triggers
- Are you trying to do a task when you are tired after a long day at work?
- Do you have too many distractions (i.e. little kids at home that constantly need you?)
- Are you trying to fit it in when you have “free time” rather than dedicate time to focus on this area?
- Do you lack a plan or unsure of what products will make your project go more smoothly?
- Do you need an accountability partner (someone to talk it through and let you feel less alone)
If you know someone who would enjoy this episode, will you please share it with a friend?!
Your Opinion Matters!
I am so appreciative of anyone who takes a moment to help the growth of our show by SUBSCRIBING and listening each week.
We would be so grateful if you would click the 5-star button & leave a short REVIEW
Stop feeling like a Hot Mess!
HOT MESS: A Practical Guide to Getting Organized is my witty little survival guide that helps you get to the root of your clutter. Learn about the 3 types of clutter, Physical, Emotional, and Calendar, along with how to avoid the 5 Clutter Pitfalls.
Now is the time to reclaim time, find freedom, and feel empowered from the “stuff” that is holding you back.
We love hearing from you! Head on over to facebook and join our group, This ORGANIZED Life where you can post topic ideas, guest suggestions, questions, comments and photos. Of course you also connect with us on the IG or follow us on PINTEREST for some added inspiration.