It’s week 3 of our Clutter Clinic Series! So far this month we’ve talked about decluttering and organizing garages, closets, and today we are talking about toys and kid spaces (the bane of every parent’s existence!) .
Whether you live in a house with a dedicated playroom, an apartment where space is limited, or fall somewhere in between-all parents have struggled at some point on how to keep toys and kid spaces organized.
In this episode we get right down to it:
- When & how do you get the kids involved?
- What to do with toys you want to save for the next kid?
- How to make clean up easy and how often should we be purging old toys?
- Lead with service
- Make purging a tradition (birthdays, Christmas/Hanukkah)
- Teach them young (avoid dark of night purging)
- Space to Inventory ratio (don’t have more than you can store)
- Use ESP (our EMPTY, SORT, PURGE method)
- Clean up every day (avoid the pile up)
- Use cubbies (simple, cheap and easy!)
- Think multipurpose furniture (ie:tables with storage)
- Easy to reach bookcases
- Use underbed storage
- Use pictures/colors (kids can understand pictures before they can read words)
- Build in margin for kids (make clean up part of playtime)
- Be Specific (ie: put the legos back in the bin, rather than clean up the basement)
There’s also an entire chapter in my book, HOT MESS: A Practical Guide to Getting Organized that is dedicated to kids’ spaces that includes a chart with age appropriate responsibilities.
The good news is that you don’t have to be a minimalist to have an organized kid space, and it’s never too early or too late to start putting these strategies into place.
For more organizing tips and inspiration, follow us on social media @simplyborganized!
A Purpose Driven Mom Free On-Demand Workshop:
Enneagram & Clutter Learn More:
*USE CODE TOL30 TO RECEIVE 30% OFF
Please support us!
FOLLOW TOL to have new episodes downloaded each week!
REVIEW. Social influence is the most impactful way to help others find our show!
Did you know that we’re on YouTube?
There’s lots of bonus content on our page, including interviews, workshops and lots more!
Struggling with Clutter?
Stop feeling like a Hot Mess!
HOT MESS: A Practical Guide to Getting Organized is my witty little survival guide that helps you get to the root of your clutter. Learn about the 3 types of clutter, Physical, Emotional, and Calendar, along with how to avoid the 5 Clutter Pitfalls.
Now is the time to reclaim time, find freedom, and feel empowered from the “stuff” that is holding you back.