Ep 337: Buying Habits with Tracy McCubbin
Joining me today is Tracy McCubbin, founder of dClutterfly. Not only has she been in the organizing space for almost 2 decades, she is also the author of several books, including her latest book “Make Space for Happiness. How to stop attracting clutter and start magnetizing the life you want.”
I invited Tracy on the show to discuss the correlation between clutter and our buying habits.
During our conversation Tracy walks us through 7 clutter magnets that make us unable to let go of possessions that we don’t want, use, or love in order to make real change.
1. True Connection – The human connection we get when shopping feels like it’s filling that void. While we may be engaging with others, the retail transaction isn’t a substitute for the true connections we all need.
2. Self-Confidence – Self-confidence is a muscle that we all have the capability to build, and it starts by believing that we all bring an individual spark to the world—a flavor that is uniquely us. When we need a boost of self-confidence, we need to focus on all the things we can do for ourselves.
3. Free Time – All the gadgets we purchase to ‘save time’ are actually standing in the way of what we really want to be doing.
4. Big Love – Everyone wants to feel loved. Yet for some people, it’s easier to attract piles of stand-ins than the feeling itself. DON’T COLLECT—CONNECT!
5. Self-Respect – The knowledge that we bring unique attributes into the room, even without any status symbols to telegraph them.
6. Real Purpose – Nothing gives us more sense of Real Purpose than being of service or sharing our knowledge, kindness, and time to make someone else’s life better. Magnetize this feeling instead of a closet full of office supplies.
7. Lasting Wisdom – We often feel the need to keep evidence of our beliefs in case they’re challenged. Newspapers, magazines, and books we’ve read can take up entire rooms because we feel if something is discarded, it could be forgotten.
My hope is that throughout this conversation you will begin to think about your own buying habits and how you can make lasting change in your life where you need it most.
BONUS ALERT! *We are also doing a giveaway for Tracy’s book! To Enter: go to apple podcast, leave us a review then take a screenshot and tag @thisorganizedlifepodcast and @dclutterfly on IG. The first 3 entries will receive a copy of Tracy’s new book in the mail!
Special thanks to today’s sponsor DeniseAlbright: use code SIMPLY30 at checkout to receive 30% off your entire order!
P.S. Did you know that we are now releasing 2 episodes of TOL per week? Every Monday we’ll release a new TIP OF THE WEEK to give you a little extra boost as you kick off the week. Then on Thursday’s we’ll continue to bring you our regular episodes filled with great guests!
LISTEN AND SUBSCRIBE TO OUR PODCAST
Special thanks to our sponsors for today’s episode:
DeniseAlbright: use code SIMPLY30 at checkout to receive 30% off your entire order
Other Links Mentioned in this episode MATT PAXTON EPISODE: “AM I A HOARDER?”
CONNECT WITH TRACY
WEBSITE | INSTAGRAM | TIKTOK
TRACY’s Book recommendations
THE TOOLS by Phil Stutz
LOVE PAMELA, A MEMOIR OF PROSE, POETRY AND TRUTH
VIEW ALL 2022 BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS ON GOOD READS
Struggling with Clutter?
Stop Feeling Like a
Hot Mess: A Practical Guide for Getting Organized is my witty little survival guide that helps you get to the root of your clutter. Learn about the 3 types of Clutter: Physical, Emotional, and Calendar. Along with how to avoid the 5 Clutter Pitfalls.
Now is the opportunity to reclaim time, find freedom& feel empowered, from the “stuff” holding you back.
Available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or wherever books are sold.