Joining me today is DeLorean Reese, the founder of Peace by Piece Professional Organizing in San Francisco. Since starting her organizing business back in 2015 DeLorean has worked with lots of families in a variety of areas, including closet design, clutter management, and other life transitions. One area that she specializes in is move coordination. Since summer is one of the most popular times for people to move, I invited her on the show to talk about the things you should know to help keep you organized along the way.
During our conversation we talked about:
- Supplies: including boxes-what sizes to choose? Bubble wrap vs. packing paper, using space bags, and labels
- Leaving ample time to book movers-most reputable movers are booked out at least 60 days in advance.
- Securing Permits-some area, including major cities may require a permit for your moving truck to double park, so make sure you look into your local area
- Change of Address-this goes for mail, online subscriptions, EZ Pass, or anything else you can think of
- Purge before you Pack-of course this is a big one! It’s worth it to put the time in on the front end, so that when you are ready to unpack, you are left with only the things you need, use or love. *It also saves you time and money from packing up stuff you just plan to donate.
There are so many logistics that go along with a move, let alone the emotional toll it can take. If you are able to hire a professional to help guide you, great! If not, bring in a trusted friend who can help ease the burden. It also makes the process go more quickly and certainly more fun!
Make sure to check out the links below for everything we talked about in this episode. We will be back next week with my friend Martha Carol Stewart from Chaos Organizing to talk about unpacking after a move.
P.S. Are you already subscribed to our show on YouTube? If not, would you please do us a favor and help us grow our audience by clicking HERE
Struggling with Clutter?
Stop Feeling Like a
Hot Mess: A Practical Guide for Getting Organized is my witty little survival guide that helps you get to the root of your clutter. Learn about the 3 types of Clutter: Physical, Emotional, and Calendar. Along with how to avoid the 5 Clutter Pitfalls.
Now is the opportunity to reclaim time, find freedom& feel empowered, from the “stuff” holding you back.