Designer Insights with Laurie Palau on Terryblinds
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
My style is a mix of industrial, vintage and modern with a foundation of simplicity. You can create an inviting space without it having to feel sterile.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
Understanding how my clients need their space to function is my focus when starting any project. The next step is incorporating their style elements to make the space their own.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
I would have to say my friend and custom woodcrafter, Zak Yannarella, www.zywoodworking.com. Zak is a true craftsman and visionary. His knowledge is endless and he has the innate ability to articulate his vision to his clients. He treats every project with the utmost respect, which is evident by his amazing work.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
Like many, I am a visual person, so once I have an understanding what a client is trying to accomplish I go to Pinterest or Houzz for inspiration.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
In one word, Passion. I love what I do and believe that living simply supports a greater value than aesthetics. My advice is to listen closely to each client. Their goals may differ from your vision, so finding a common ground will empower them to maintain their space.